Insurance for learner drivers

Insurance for learner drivers

If you want to practice outside of your normal lessons, you’ll need specialist provisional car insurance. There are a couple of ways to do this.

1. Get on your parents’ policy

Being added to your parents’ insurance is the simplest option, but it might push their premiums through the roof. And, not every insurer will let them do it. You’ll also only be able to use your parents’ car, not your own if you have one.

2. Get separate insurance

Taking out your own learner car insurance lets you practice in your own car – although some insurers put a limit on the value of the vehicle they’ll cover, so check the small print.

Don't forget to be supervised

Whichever option you choose, you still need to be supervised by someone aged 21 or over, who has been driving for at least three years. Some insurers even insist on the supervisor being 25+, so check which age your policy demands and make sure you don’t invalidate your cover.

How long should you insure yourself as a learner?

That depends on how long you’ve been learning and how close you are to passing your test. DSA figures say that the average learner needs 47 lessons and 22 hours of private practice. And while you can buy policies for as little as seven days, it could work out cheaper to get longer term cover.

Tell your insurer when you pass

When the practice pays off and you get your licence, you’ll no longer be covered to drive. Make sure you update your policy before you start enjoying your freedom.